Design for Digital Media Environments – Final Evaluation

As the Design for Digital Media Environments unit is coming to an end, I feel that my team and I have appropriately and successfully met the unit-brief requirements set for our project. These were to create a Web-browser based application that satisfied the specific needs of our target audience, and to use database scripting language to link our application to an online database that would be affected by user input.

With these requirements in mind, my team and I designed and coded a website called Student Offers for Bournemouth University (SOBU), using a variety of PHP and CSS code. The website we created allows the user to see available offers and deals on a live feed. It also allows the user to sign in and post offers and discounts located in Bournemouth. I think our final website has a very clear target audience, with obvious needs that our website properly addresses.

The members of my team were myself, Adam and Hallam. I think we worked very well as a team since we all took an active part in creating the website and our attendance was great: none of us missed any of the important group meetings. We also went about working on the elements of our website in what I believe was the right way, as none of us spent too much time on just one task. This allowed us to focus on making sure that important aspects, such as functionality, were properly organised before we worked on the visual elements, like the appearance and design of the website.

The images below show our final version of the updated website for SOBU.

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 21.24.16

Welcome Page

1

Main Home Page

2

The Offer Posting System

3

My Posts

4

Social Media Dropdown Menu

5

About Page

6

Register Page

updated nav bar

Full Navigation Bar

Our team combined our strengths in coding and design to create a website linked to a database. This allowed us to keep track of all of the users’ posts online. I find this one of the most effective and interesting aspects of our website, as it shows instant results that we can monitor.

When I started working on this project, I found coding in PHP somewhat challenging. However, in the course of the unit I developed a better understanding on how it works, as well as other websites and coding languages we used. These included phpMyAdmin, GitHub and Bootstrap.

If I had chosen to do things differently, I might have added some more visual elements on the sides or at the top of the page (e.g. more stylised logo or banner), as in the other student deals websites explored in my website research. However, this would have overcomplicated the overall website design. We decided that streamlined simplicity makes the presentation more user-friendly, clearer and aesthetically pleasing.

Overall, I am satisfied that our website has properly met all the requirements in the brief and pleased with how the final result turned out, in terms of its responsiveness, content and design.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s